"ring cotter" (was "a klr review video")

DSN_KLR650
gordon vittig

a klr review video

Post by gordon vittig » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:14 am

Granted, I'm a wuss, but I thought I packed pretty light. I weighed my side cases and top case loaded for a two week trip last year. I had (I thought) the basics >> rain gear, sweatshirt, sleeping bag, tent, stove, tequila, those freeze dried camp meals, tools, water, change of underwear/socks, sandals, chain lube, quart of oil, maps, camera, toilet paper... It weighed about 150lbs including the side cases and top case. I weigh about 175lbs not counting my helmet, riding pants/ jacket/boots. I tried to estimate all the other mods, like engine guards, skid plate, luggage racks, blah blah blah... and I'd guess it's at least 350lbs with me on the bike. I think bike does amazingly well in all kinds of situations with that burden. This is the video from that ride covering all kinds of terrain. >>> http://youtu.be/9eIGNFZFu1U I really wouldn't want to cut 100lbs off. Gordon

sopris_2000

a klr review video

Post by sopris_2000 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:32 pm

I don't get on this forum very often because I'm traveling with my wife south of the border. But who gives a shit how much stuff anyone packs. Some of you are minimalists and enjoy the little stuff you take. And what I generally gather, is none of you travel with your wife or girlfriend who rides their own. My wife rides her own, is only 59, almost 120# and we bring everything she wants because none of my boyfriends will ride where she rides. I did leave the kitchen sink behind this trip. But so far we've traveled over 4,000 miles in Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras. We have about a month left before we get back to the U.S. So I'll ask again, who cares how much shit you bring? Just get out and ride and whatever makes you happy, enjoy it.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Khoury wrote: > > Yeah, that's a lot of stuff. I went on a 2 1/2 week odyssey last fall and only took about 60lbs, and that included my tools, compressor, laptop, some booze and other chachkes for family and friends that I visited along the way, etc. > > > I can't imagine what 150lbs of dead weight would be like on a trip of that magnitude. > > It's like ADV riding with your thick girlfriend on the back. > (no offense to thick girlfriends) > > -Jeff Khoury > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Martin Polach" > To: "DSN KLR650" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 7:40:13 AM > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: A KLR review video > > > > > > > 150 lbs of gear??????? > What possibly could he have taken? > Seems like a self centered, little rich kid! > Caught a glimpse of his car...Aston Martin? > > I did the trip a couple of years ago....About 35 lbs of gear(still felt as though I had too much) Found the KLR to be an ideal combination of utility,Fun!,and economy! > > Takes all kinds > > Marting > > Sent from my iPad >

revmaaatin

a klr review video

Post by revmaaatin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:04 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, gordon vittig wrote:
> > Granted, I'm a wuss, but I thought I packed pretty light. > Gordon >
Gordon, What you really want to do is go to a commercial scale and see what you and the bike weigh. It will suprise you. 2004 returning home from the Great Divide Ride at night, I went by the local grain elevator (you can see digital scale numbers) and if I remember correctly I scaled at 850+ lbs 'wet' =full fuel. =#200 rider/clothes. The lbs add up fast.... And that was after eating most of the food carried, minimal water (I usually carry 5qts to start =10 lbs) AND after Jeff Saline helped me 'sort'/mail home 20# tools I did not need from some small town in Montana. I think it is tumu or CaStu who says, "Pack your bike. Go for a three mile ride. Come back and take out 1/3 and leave it at home. NOW, go on your trip." But who listens to good advice anyway? revmaaatin. who does not always follow it, but will repeat it.

Jeffrey

a klr review video

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:43 am

1)Factory sprockets and chain go at least 15k with some semi-routine maintenance. Decent aftermarket stuff will do 10K 2)He should have changed the sprocket ratios if he wanted to cruise 70 plus for long stretches. 3)He liked the stupid little windshield? He must be on drugs! 4)Has he ever heard of Locktite? Star washers? Lock washers, lock nuts, nylocks? All single cylinders thump and rattle. 5)DPO did a poor clutch bypass job. Not the bike's fault. I never did either my clutch nor kickstand bypass; never had a problem 6)Stock seat comfy? Is he on crack? While they are better than dirt bike seats, they are not comfy. 7)Cruising at high speed for so long and he didn't mention the anemic front brake? 8)Kickstand height should have only been a problem if he had lowering links. Stock kickstand at stock height is OK. Couldn't find a slight hill or angle anywhere in Alaska or Canada...or even an irregularity in a parking lot to make the kickstand work better? I think he was just examining the elephant's ass and missed the rest of the blundering but capable beast.

Brian Good

a klr review video

Post by Brian Good » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:09 am

Jeff... Would you tell me more about this EM prevailing torque nut ? and how do you make your counter sprocket changes so fast? Thanks Brian Good Bothell, Wa 08 klr [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jud

a klr review video

Post by Jud » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:00 pm

The hassle and time in changing chainwheels comes from flattening out the tab washer, and finding a log enough piece of pipe to break the highly-torqued nut loose. Plus, you might need a confederate to help hold the bike down while you reef on your lever. The EM nut bears directly on the sprocket, without any pesky tab washer to impede you. The self-locking washer will stay in place without high torque, so you can back it off with simple hand tools small enough to carry on the bike. There really is not much more to it: You may have to slacken the chain a bit to allow the sprocket to slide off the splined countershaft. If it is being really ornery, you might have to pry it a little. Then slip the teeth of the new sprocket into the chain, slide it onto the shaft and adjust the chain. If you have a cigar, a beer and a couple of helpers to tell you what to do, it might take half an hour, but if you can be left alone to apply yourself to the task, there is no reason it should go over ten minutes.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Good" wrote: > > Jeff... Would you tell me more about this EM prevailing torque nut ? and how > do you make your counter sprocket changes so fast? > > > > Thanks > > Brian Good > > Bothell, Wa > > 08 klr > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

Jeff Khoury

a klr review video

Post by Jeff Khoury » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:23 am

Eagle Mike's Prevailing Torque Nut eliminates the need for the bendy washer that holds the countershaft nut in place. The threads are ground at a slightly different pitch than the ones on the shaft, causing it to bind just enough so it won't back out with vibration. Once you have this in place... and if you keep a coat of grease on your countershaft so the sprocket doesn't stick, changing the front sprocket is quite quick and easy. 1. pull out the cotter pin on your rear axle and throw it away. Replace it with a hitch pin so you don't have to mess with that the next time. 2. Back off your adjusting nuts (or bolts, depending on the year) on the swingarm with a 12mm wrench (on the 08+). Keep those oiled so they move easily. 3. Using a 27mm socket, loosen the axle. 4. Give the rear tire a swift kick to push it all the way forward using a size 10 boot. 5. Remove 3 10mm bolts on the countershaft cover. 6. Walk around to the left side of the bike. 7. Take a 30mm socket (27mm for the stock one) with a 6" extension and put it on the countershaft nut while leaning on the seat. Step on the rear brake while pulling upward to break it free. 8. Pull the sprocket off with the chain still on it, then roll the sprocket out of the chain. 9. Put the new sprocket into the chain then push it onto the shaft. 10. Reinstall the EM Prevailing Torque nut just like you removed it, using German torque specs (gudentight). 12. Reinstall the countershaft cover. 13. Adjust and align chain/Tighten rear axle. 14. Replace hitch pin in rear axle. I know it sounds like a lot, but I can easily accomplish that in 10 minutes - and you can too with a little practice. -Jeff Khoury
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Good" To: "DSN KLR650" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, June 9, 2012 8:09:05 AM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: A KLR review video Jeff... Would you tell me more about this EM prevailing torque nut ? and how do you make your counter sprocket changes so fast? Thanks Brian Good Bothell, Wa 08 klr [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Saline

a klr review video

Post by Jeff Saline » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:49 am

**CORRECTION** Change "left" to "right" in step 6. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 <><><><><> <><><><><> On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 22:26:54 -0700 (PDT) Jeff Khoury writes:
> Eagle Mike's Prevailing Torque Nut eliminates the need for the bendy > washer that holds the countershaft nut in place. > > The threads are ground at a slightly different pitch than the ones > on the shaft, causing it to bind just enough so it won't back out > with vibration. > > Once you have this in place... and if you keep a coat of grease on > your countershaft so the sprocket doesn't stick, changing the front > sprocket is quite quick and easy. > > 1. pull out the cotter pin on your rear axle and throw it away. > Replace it with a hitch pin so you don't have to mess with that the > next time. > > 2. Back off your adjusting nuts (or bolts, depending on the year) on > the swingarm with a 12mm wrench (on the 08+). Keep those oiled so > they move easily. > > 3. Using a 27mm socket, loosen the axle. > > 4. Give the rear tire a swift kick to push it all the way forward > using a size 10 boot. > > 5. Remove 3 10mm bolts on the countershaft cover. > > 6. Walk around to the left side of the bike. > > 7. Take a 30mm socket (27mm for the stock one) with a 6" extension > and put it on the countershaft nut while leaning on the seat. Step > on the rear brake while pulling upward to break it free. > > 8. Pull the sprocket off with the chain still on it, then roll the > sprocket out of the chain. > > 9. Put the new sprocket into the chain then push it onto the shaft. > > 10. Reinstall the EM Prevailing Torque nut just like you removed it, > using German torque specs (gudentight). > > 12. Reinstall the countershaft cover. > > 13. Adjust and align chain/Tighten rear axle. > > 14. Replace hitch pin in rear axle. > > > I know it sounds like a lot, but I can easily accomplish that in 10 > minutes - and you can too with a little practice. > > > -Jeff Khoury > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Brian Good" > To: "DSN KLR650" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Saturday, June 9, 2012 8:09:05 AM > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: A KLR review video > > > > > > > Jeff... Would you tell me more about this EM prevailing torque nut ? > and how > do you make your counter sprocket changes so fast? > > Thanks > > Brian Good > > Bothell, Wa > > 08 klr > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > List Sponsors - Dual Sport News: http://www.dualsportnews.com > Arrowhead Motorsports: http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok: > http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/app/peoplemap/view/map > Group Apps: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/grouplets/subscriptionsYahoo! > Groups Links > > > >
____________________________________________________________ 53 Year Old Mom Looks 33 The Stunning Results of Her Wrinkle Trick Has Botox Doctors Worried http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4fd4898ea834e17c9f9st05vuc

Jeff Khoury

a klr review video

Post by Jeff Khoury » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:15 am

LOL. Good Catch. -Jeff Khoury
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Saline" To: jeff@... Cc: w7fdd@..., "DSN KLR650" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2012 4:46:00 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: A KLR review video **CORRECTION** Change "left" to "right" in step 6. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 <><><><><> <><><><><> On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 22:26:54 -0700 (PDT) Jeff Khoury writes: > Eagle Mike's Prevailing Torque Nut eliminates the need for the bendy > washer that holds the countershaft nut in place. > > The threads are ground at a slightly different pitch than the ones > on the shaft, causing it to bind just enough so it won't back out > with vibration. > > Once you have this in place... and if you keep a coat of grease on > your countershaft so the sprocket doesn't stick, changing the front > sprocket is quite quick and easy. > > 1. pull out the cotter pin on your rear axle and throw it away. > Replace it with a hitch pin so you don't have to mess with that the > next time. > > 2. Back off your adjusting nuts (or bolts, depending on the year) on > the swingarm with a 12mm wrench (on the 08+). Keep those oiled so > they move easily. > > 3. Using a 27mm socket, loosen the axle. > > 4. Give the rear tire a swift kick to push it all the way forward > using a size 10 boot. > > 5. Remove 3 10mm bolts on the countershaft cover. > > 6. Walk around to the left side of the bike. > > 7. Take a 30mm socket (27mm for the stock one) with a 6" extension > and put it on the countershaft nut while leaning on the seat. Step > on the rear brake while pulling upward to break it free. > > 8. Pull the sprocket off with the chain still on it, then roll the > sprocket out of the chain. > > 9. Put the new sprocket into the chain then push it onto the shaft. > > 10. Reinstall the EM Prevailing Torque nut just like you removed it, > using German torque specs (gudentight). > > 12. Reinstall the countershaft cover. > > 13. Adjust and align chain/Tighten rear axle. > > 14. Replace hitch pin in rear axle. > > > I know it sounds like a lot, but I can easily accomplish that in 10 > minutes - and you can too with a little practice. > > > -Jeff Khoury > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Brian Good" > To: "DSN KLR650" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Saturday, June 9, 2012 8:09:05 AM > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: A KLR review video > > > > > > > Jeff... Would you tell me more about this EM prevailing torque nut ? > and how > do you make your counter sprocket changes so fast? > > Thanks > > Brian Good > > Bothell, Wa > > 08 klr > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > List Sponsors - Dual Sport News: http://www.dualsportnews.com > Arrowhead Motorsports: http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok: > http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/app/peoplemap/view/map > Group Apps: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/grouplets/subscriptionsYahoo! > Groups Links > > > > ____________________________________________________________ LivingSocial Daily Deals Sign Up and Get Up to 70% Off Deals. Restaurants, Events, Spas & More! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4fd4898ea7de817c9f8st05vuc

Kevin Powers

a klr review video

Post by Kevin Powers » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:54 am

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Jeff Khoury wrote:
> ** > > > Eagle Mike's Prevailing Torque Nut eliminates the need for the bendy > washer that holds the countershaft nut in place. > > The threads are ground at a slightly different pitch than the ones on the > shaft, causing it to bind just enough so it won't back out with vibration. > > Once you have this in place... and if you keep a coat of grease on your > countershaft so the sprocket doesn't stick, changing the front sprocket is > quite quick and easy. > > 1. pull out the cotter pin on your rear axle and throw it away. Replace it > with a hitch pin so you don't have to mess with that the next time. > > 2. Back off your adjusting nuts (or bolts, depending on the year) on the > swingarm with a 12mm wrench (on the 08+). Keep those oiled so they move > easily. >
When you order your Eagle Mike prevailing torque nut, add in the Axle adjuster Nylock lock nut PIChttp://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/images/nylock.jpg>, which uses a 13mm wrench. -- Kevin Powers White Bear Lake, MN [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]