imperial-4776@webtv.net

gas mileage

Post by imperial-4776@webtv.net » Tue May 21, 2002 8:55 am

Well if a BMW 71mpg Then my KLR got 72mpg :-) Dave

George Basinet

gas mileage

Post by George Basinet » Tue May 21, 2002 9:24 am

Tony Cornett wrote:
>What is the best gas milage that any members received on the klr650? Include conditions speed average. My buddy just got back from Mexico on his BMW F650 on the way down he got a remarkable 71mpg. Thanks TC >
You realize of course, that was with Mexican gas. George Escondido, CA

Gord Mounce

gas mileage

Post by Gord Mounce » Tue May 21, 2002 9:39 am

I asked the group about this once before, because I was surprised to hear all the talk of 55mpg. My daily commute is 10km of gravel, 60km of highway driving and about 20km of fairly steady-moving city driving. I've been getting between 64-66mpg. Bike is stock with the exception of a K&N filter. I may richen things up a bit, because it's perhaps just one size lean on the jetting. My altitude is 4,500 feet at home, and 3,500 feet where I work. (No, I don't just measure the mileage on the downhill run!) btw - I saw two KLRs near Bragg Creek this weekend - a 2000 on Sunday with a tall windshield and factory tail bag, and a stock one on Monday. Was it someone on this list? gord

bmrbill

gas mileage

Post by bmrbill » Tue May 21, 2002 10:46 am

Gord, I'm one of those 55mpg riders. Variables that could affect my mileage: Home = 3000ft. Work = sea level. Tall Windshield (affects aerodynamics). 16t sprocket (moves the sweet spot). Stock jetting, stock pilot screw adj, stock exhaust. 20 miles (each way) of twisties, so I'm constantly on and off the throttle. MTBE. In California, the gasoline contains MTBE. I've read several articles stating that MTBE can have a negative affect on mileage, but you can't believe everything you read. ;) As for getting 55mpg, I love it. It sure beats the 15mpg my Jeep gets. I'd like to say that the KLR is saving me money, but I have to factor in Dual Star, Sagebrush, Arrowhead..... Oh well, the fun per mile can't be beat. As always, YMMV. Bill A15
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Gord Mounce" wrote: > I asked the group about this once before, because I was surprised to hear > all the talk of 55mpg. My daily commute is 10km of gravel, 60km of highway > driving and about 20km of fairly steady-moving city driving. I've been > getting between 64-66mpg. Bike is stock with the exception of a K&N filter. > I may richen things up a bit, because it's perhaps just one size lean on the > jetting. My altitude is 4,500 feet at home, and 3,500 feet where I work. > (No, I don't just measure the mileage on the downhill run!) > > > btw - I saw two KLRs near Bragg Creek this weekend - a 2000 on Sunday with a > tall windshield and factory tail bag, and a stock one on Monday. Was it > someone on this list? > > gord

Tim

gas mileage

Post by Tim » Tue May 21, 2002 11:12 am

Well it wasnt me at Bragg Creek :( , I dont take delivery of my 2002 KLR untill Wed. and just as i am writing this Blackfoot Motosports called giving me my serial number. Time to get my insurance :-). Curse the weather gods, forcast for Wed is 5 degrees with rain and possibly snow, grrrrrrr. Cheers, Tim
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gord Mounce" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 8:39 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] GAS MILEAGE > I asked the group about this once before, because I was surprised to hear > all the talk of 55mpg. My daily commute is 10km of gravel, 60km of highway > driving and about 20km of fairly steady-moving city driving. I've been > getting between 64-66mpg. Bike is stock with the exception of a K&N filter. > I may richen things up a bit, because it's perhaps just one size lean on the > jetting. My altitude is 4,500 feet at home, and 3,500 feet where I work. > (No, I don't just measure the mileage on the downhill run!) > > > btw - I saw two KLRs near Bragg Creek this weekend - a 2000 on Sunday with a > tall windshield and factory tail bag, and a stock one on Monday. Was it > someone on this list? > > gord > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Ray Fagan

gas mileage

Post by Ray Fagan » Tue May 21, 2002 11:17 am

And you live where? Just need to know so that I never move there. Ray On the Mississippi Gulf Coast
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim" > Curse the weather gods, forcast for Wed is 5 degrees with rain and > possibly snow, grrrrrrr.

RM

gas mileage

Post by RM » Tue May 21, 2002 11:23 am

On Tue, 21 May 2002 imperial-4776@... wrote:
>Well if a BMW 71mpg > >Then my KLR got 72mpg :-)
Mine will only get 70. Buts that's beacuse it's green, and the green KLR's are faster.

Chris Krok

gas mileage

Post by Chris Krok » Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:33 pm

> From: "slamorte " > Subject: definitive fuel mileage FAQ? > > the best i've done is 55mpg with stock carb and air, one-tooth > down front sprocket (13 or 14? i forget), tall windscreen, and > custom "supercrapp" muffler (actually a small 6" x 9" car muffler, > good air flow). > > since returning to the stock front sprocket and going with a > supertrapp, and a jet and needle kit, i've dropped to 32mpg. > ouch!
I've got a Dynojet jet kit on mine, and got 46 mpg with the needle on 4 and the 140 main jet. It still felt a little lean, so I went up to the 150 main, but haven't checked mileage since. (I had opened up the airbox and ported the exhaust, seems to have worked.) When I bought the bike, it had stock jetting and a Supertrapp. Would do 50 mpg on or off road in CA, and I got 65 mpg in CO. (Gas?) Stock jetting seems to be the best way to go for high mileage. Someone came up with a carb mod that allowed them to lean out the mix while cruising, and they got higher numbers. Try searching the archives for that one... Krokko -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok John Lucas Adaptive Wind Tunnel Caltech MS 205-45, Pasadena, CA 91125

Bogdan Swider

gas mileage

Post by Bogdan Swider » Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:52 pm

> Someone came up with a carb mod that allowed them to lean out the mix > while cruising, and they got higher numbers. Try searching the archives > for that one... > > Krokko >
Skip Faukner rode into Moab with a setup like that. If I remember correctly he had some way of reading the gas/air ratio plus maybe other info while on the go. He also had a way of dialing in more or less gas so he would achieve a ratio that he considered optimum. He did this manually not with a computer program. I hope I got this right. Bogdan

Tony Cornett

gas mileage

Post by Tony Cornett » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:19 pm

My bike is stock pipe and stock jetting. If i keep down to 55mph I get 70+mpg I have 16t front 39 rear sprockets. The klr can pull this easy. My mileage dropped by 12mpg the problem was California smog control plugged. Back to normal now my combination intown to work commute 64mpg. The only thing that affects this is high speed and high winds. Good mileage can be had. I never ride dirt street only. TC
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Swider" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com>; "Chris Krok" Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 1:52 PM Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] gas mileage > > > > > Someone came up with a carb mod that allowed them to lean out the mix > > while cruising, and they got higher numbers. Try searching the archives > > for that one... > > > > Krokko > > > Skip Faukner rode into Moab with a setup like that. If I remember > correctly he had some way of reading the gas/air ratio plus maybe other > info while on the go. He also had a way of dialing in more or less gas so > he would achieve a ratio that he considered optimum. He did this manually > not with a computer program. I hope I got this right. > > Bogdan > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >