Arden Kysely

boots

Post by Arden Kysely » Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:41 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "smedsklr" wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good pair of boot that are comfortable for
the
> street but good in the dirt. I tried MX boots (size 10) and
couldn't
> get my toe under the shift lever. They were also hard to walk in.
Sidi On-Roads are a good, waterproof street boot that I wear off-road on the KLR. Mind you, I'm not MX-ing the KLR with these boots, but I did 1200 miles in Utah, including the White Rim Trail, in them last month. They offer decent protection and are comfortable for walking. I've also tested their waterproofing. My feet were dry until the water came in over the top. If you're more serious about dirt, try the Aerostich Combat Touring boots. __Arden

Zachariah Mully

boots

Post by Zachariah Mully » Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:14 pm

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 14:40, Arden Kysely wrote:
> Sidi On-Roads are a good, waterproof street boot that I wear off-road > on the KLR. Mind you, I'm not MX-ing the KLR with these boots, but I > did 1200 miles in Utah, including the White Rim Trail, in them last > month. They offer decent protection and are comfortable for walking. > I've also tested their waterproofing. My feet were dry until the > water came in over the top. > > If you're more serious about dirt, try the Aerostich Combat Touring > boots. > > __Arden
Watch out while wearing street boots, poor Stu broke his foot/ankle when he wiped out and the bike fell on top his ankle (or something). The Sidi Discoverys are basically the CTB with some hard plastic protection. At Meteor two years ago one of our riders caught his CTB on something and it tore a hole right through the leather. Not saying that this wouldn't have happened with MX boots, but I wouldn't want to be stranded with a broken ankle out in the boonies. Z DC

Arden Kysely

boots

Post by Arden Kysely » Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:22 pm

> Watch out while wearing street boots, poor Stu broke his foot/ankle
when
> he wiped out and the bike fell on top his ankle (or something). The
Sidi
> Discoverys are basically the CTB with some hard plastic protection.
At
> Meteor two years ago one of our riders caught his CTB on something
and
> it tore a hole right through the leather. Not saying that this
wouldn't
> have happened with MX boots, but I wouldn't want to be stranded
with a
> broken ankle out in the boonies. > > Z > DC
Right you are, Z, but that's why I've given up falling off 8~) __Arden

Judson D. Jones

boots

Post by Judson D. Jones » Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:02 pm

I'm still wearing combat touring boots for trail riding, but I've taken a couple hard knocks and I'm starting to think I'd like some more protection. I used to look askance at guys who wore a lot of armor for "mere" trail riding, but as they aptly pointed out, it's cheap insurance. And the more you ride off-road, the more exposure you have. Same holds true for boots.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Zachariah Mully wrote: > On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 14:40, Arden Kysely wrote: > > > Sidi On-Roads are a good, waterproof street boot that I wear off-road > > on the KLR. Mind you, I'm not MX-ing the KLR with these boots, but I > > did 1200 miles in Utah, including the White Rim Trail, in them last > > month. They offer decent protection and are comfortable for walking. > > I've also tested their waterproofing. My feet were dry until the > > water came in over the top. > > > > If you're more serious about dirt, try the Aerostich Combat Touring > > boots. > > > > __Arden > > Watch out while wearing street boots, poor Stu broke his foot/ankle when > he wiped out and the bike fell on top his ankle (or something). The Sidi > Discoverys are basically the CTB with some hard plastic protection. At > Meteor two years ago one of our riders caught his CTB on something and > it tore a hole right through the leather. Not saying that this wouldn't > have happened with MX boots, but I wouldn't want to be stranded with a > broken ankle out in the boonies. > > Z > DC

Wilson John T Civ 53 CSS/SCNS

boots

Post by Wilson John T Civ 53 CSS/SCNS » Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:13 pm

I bought a new pair of boots made by Sidi from New Enough Leathers ( newenough.com ) for $149. They're waterproof and comfortable for walking. Don't know if they still have them though. JT Wilson DSN: 872-5887 Comm: 850-882-5887 -----Original Message----- From: Arden Kysely [mailto:arden_kysely@...] Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 1:41 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: boots
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "smedsklr" wrote: > Can anyone recommend a good pair of boot that are comfortable for the > street but good in the dirt. I tried MX boots (size 10) and couldn't > get my toe under the shift lever. They were also hard to walk in. Sidi On-Roads are a good, waterproof street boot that I wear off-road on the KLR. Mind you, I'm not MX-ing the KLR with these boots, but I did 1200 miles in Utah, including the White Rim Trail, in them last month. They offer decent protection and are comfortable for walking. I've also tested their waterproofing. My feet were dry until the water came in over the top. If you're more serious about dirt, try the Aerostich Combat Touring boots. __Arden List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Lujo Bauer

boots

Post by Lujo Bauer » Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:25 pm

I like my Sidi Discovery boots an awful lot, even though they see very little off-road use. The Motonation folks are great to deal with, too. -Lujo
> -----Original Message----- > From: Arden Kysely [mailto:arden_kysely@...] > Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 2:41 PM > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: boots > > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "smedsklr" wrote: > > Can anyone recommend a good pair of boot that are comfortable for > the > > street but good in the dirt. I tried MX boots (size 10) and > couldn't > > get my toe under the shift lever. They were also hard to walk in. > > Sidi On-Roads are a good, waterproof street boot that I wear off-road > on the KLR. Mind you, I'm not MX-ing the KLR with these boots, but I > did 1200 miles in Utah, including the White Rim Trail, in them last > month. They offer decent protection and are comfortable for walking. > I've also tested their waterproofing. My feet were dry until the > water came in over the top. > > If you're more serious about dirt, try the Aerostich Combat Touring > boots. > > __Arden
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

husabomber

boots

Post by husabomber » Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:28 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "smedsklr" wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good pair of boot that are comfortable for
the
> street but good in the dirt. I tried MX boots (size 10) and couldn't > get my toe under the shift lever. They were also hard to walk in.
I would agree with all singing the praises of Motonation. I wear the Sidi "On Road" on the street and Sidi Tae Flex for trail riding. I was lucky enough to get the Tae Flexes on closeout for $120. If you are looking for a compromise of street/mx boots maybe try the MSR World Tours. They are MX style with a lugged sole. Break-in was pretty quick and could walk in them all day. And also only about $120.

klr650nut

boots

Post by klr650nut » Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:53 am

I also have Combat Touring Boots which have good protection and can serve yoou on road and off but I am also looking for something with greater armor. Last year I dropped the beast on my anle out in Death Valley. That KLR is one heavy load when it falls on the ancle. Didn't break and without them it might have but more armor might have saved me from the damage that was done.

Devon Jarvis

boots

Post by Devon Jarvis » Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:06 am

Combat touring boots are exactly that, "touring" boots. My riding buddy with a DRZ-400 used to wear them, until he broke his ankle in a crash. MX boots would have likely prevented the injury, or greatly reduced its extent. I am the last one of my local group of dual-sport riders to be using non-MX boots. The boots I have are in between MX boots and the combat touring boots basically, heavy for touring but too light for hard offroading. One reflex I developed during the years I (badly) rode BMX-freestyle, and (also badly) racing BMX bicycles, is the reflex to kick away whatever you're riding as you fall. It's served me well in countless KLR falls, some in 2nd gear on trails Falling off a jump or on a 1/4 pipe when you're tangled up with your bicycle is really bad and you learn to avoid it. Kicking usually moves you away from the KLR, rather than moving the bike away from you, but either way your legs don't end up underneath. Devon A15 klr650nut wrote:
> > I also have Combat Touring Boots which have good protection and can > serve yoou on road and off but I am also looking for something with > greater armor. Last year I dropped the beast on my anle out in Death > Valley. That KLR is one heavy load when it falls on the ancle. > Didn't break and without them it might have but more armor might have > saved me from the damage that was done. >

Andrus Chesley

boots

Post by Andrus Chesley » Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:10 am

> You will have to learn to put on some big-ass
boots in >the morning, though. Can't ride a KLR in sneakers Oh! I fine riding mine with sneakers, loafers or boots doesn't really make a difference to the bike. It just don't care. I even asked it. ;-). Kidding in away. Depends on where, what terri firma, how far, etc. to what I wear when riding any bike. Andy Jennings, La. R1150GSA KLR650