www.recycler.com klr650

DSN_KLR650
LawsonCL@aol.com

darien vs. roadcrafter nklr

Post by LawsonCL@aol.com » Fri Nov 17, 2000 5:16 pm

heaslet@... writes:
You trying to provoke me, lover boy?    Stuart
Stuart, Who, me? Would I try to fan the flames when it's only 28 freakin' degrees outside and I haven't been on a motorcycle in about three weeks and snow is in the forecast. Naw. Not at all. I think you're just being sensitive. Chris Lawson

k650dsn@aol.com

Post by k650dsn@aol.com » Fri Nov 17, 2000 5:42 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com,
> >
always felt that
> > the engineering of the Motoport is underrated. > > > > Stuart >> > >Yes Motoport is good gear but Aerostich is the BEST!
Being the owner of a First Gear jacket and a Darien, I have to say that the Aerostich gear is highly overrated. I have nothing against Aerostich products, I own a lot of stuff that they make. But their riding gear is just isn't the quality stuff that the high price seems to indicate. Gino

Don Detloff

Post by Don Detloff » Fri Nov 17, 2000 6:00 pm

No, I'm not locked in yet, but I have read many good things about Aerostich. Don Detloff Fair Haven, MI A14
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, Stuart Heaslet wrote: > At 08:27 PM 11/17/00 +0000, Don Detloff wrote: > >I'm starting to put together a wish list of things to get over the > >winter and wonder what the advantages/disadvantages are of a Darien > >jacket and pants vs. the 2 pc. Roadcrafter. > > Have you absolutely decided on the Aerostich brand? I've always felt that > the engineering of the Motoport is underrated. > > Stuart

Jim Barthell

Post by Jim Barthell » Fri Nov 17, 2000 6:48 pm

I had a roadcrafter, sold it and bought a Darien light... Leather is better, (much, much more comfortable), than either. Perforated leather with a super light Gortex shell for the rain will probably cost about the same but be a lot more comfortable on those sweltering, rainless summer days. On sweltering, rainy days your no more uncomfortable than you would be in Aerostich gear and you won't look like a grown man playing Neil Armstrong. As for quality of rain protection... three of us rode from Dallas to Daytona a few years ago. I wore Heine Gerike leather with REI raingear. Ron Ayres was wearing a Roadcrafter. I was on a KLR (nofairing) He was on a BMW K1100lt (fairing). We stayed at pretty much 70-80 mph the whole way through some serious downpours. He was soaked to the skin, The bottoms of my leather pants were soaked, from about the knees down, my gloves were soaked and my jacket felt damp but was not wet. When I stopped for the night I dumped a good cup of water out of each boot proving they were indeed waterproof, they filled with water and didn't leak a drop. Jim
> --- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, > > > always felt that > > > the engineering of the Motoport is underrated. > > > > > > Stuart >> > > >Yes Motoport is good gear but Aerostich is the BEST! > > > Being the owner of a First Gear jacket and a Darien, I have to say > that the Aerostich gear is highly overrated. I have nothing against > Aerostich products, I own a lot of stuff that they make. But their > riding gear is just isn't the quality stuff that the high price seems > to indicate. > > Gino > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > >

jirvine@nmsu.edu

Post by jirvine@nmsu.edu » Fri Nov 17, 2000 7:08 pm

At 11:42 PM 11/17/00 +0000, k650dsn@... wrote:
>Being the owner of a First Gear jacket and a Darien, I have to say >that the Aerostich gear is highly overrated. I have nothing against >Aerostich products, I own a lot of stuff that they make. But their >riding gear is just isn't the quality stuff that the high price seems >to indicate. > >Gino
I use Road Gear Euro Tec jacket and pants and have been very pleased with the quality and service (only service I needed was exchanging one piece for another). Good protection, sturdy, good for all sorts of weather.
>Visit the KLR650 archives at >http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 >Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... >Let's keep this list SPAM free! > >Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 >To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Stuart Heaslet

Post by Stuart Heaslet » Fri Nov 17, 2000 7:11 pm

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:45:11 -0600 "Jim Barthell" wrote:
> When I stopped for the night I dumped a good cup of water
out of each boot proving they were indeed waterproof, they
> filled with water and didn't leak a drop.
My motocross boots leaked, until I bought snow wax and sealed the hell out of them. Now they hold water too. Stuart

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Fri Nov 17, 2000 7:14 pm

Have to throw in my two cents here... I have a RC one-piece that I am very, very happy with. That doesn't mean that another Aerostitch is on my list, but I will definitely be baised. I have had my Stich for 5 years. ++plusses (for one piece RC) +easy on easy off +more pockets than you can shake a stick at +great protection standard (would recommend the hip/torso armor) +I've ridden through torrential rains (I had to slow down to 25 mph it was raining so hard) and only gotten damp in the crotch. +You look like a race car driver (good down south) +Little to no maintenance/care required +relatively cool... Never had a problem during the DC summers +customer service is fanastic +no stopping to frantically dig out your gore-tex shell when you're hit by a rain squall --minuses -stiff for first 1,000 miles or until several rainstorms -layering becomes a fine art with the limited room you have -No real way to take the top of the suit off when you're in a store -you can't get fat or you'll grow out of it -definity not as high zoot as leathers -color selection sucks -long production backlogs -you look like every other BMW rider (could be a plus too I guess) -hard to store on the bike when you're in a store (bulky) -bitch to wash -expensive This conversation has me interested in the Motorport gear so that will definitely be on my list next time I am in need of riding gear. I feel though that regardless of what you choose (m-port or Stitch) the most important thing is that you feel safe wearing your gear... I don't mean that you feel invincible, but that you don't feel exposed and vulnerable (try riding without a helmet and you'll know what I am talking about)... By whatever equipment you'll have faith in and feel comfortable wearing as it will help you concentrate on riding and not on whether or not you're adquetely protected. Cheers, Zack SE DC 1991 KLR650 "Buster" 1986 Concours -----Original Message----- From: Jim Barthell [mailto:jimbarthell@...] Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000 7:45 PM To: k650dsn@...; DSN_klr650@egroups.com Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] Re: Darien vs. Roadcrafter NKLR Importance: High I had a roadcrafter, sold it and bought a Darien light... Leather is better, (much, much more comfortable), than either. Perforated leather with a super light Gortex shell for the rain will probably cost about the same but be a lot more comfortable on those sweltering, rainless summer days. On sweltering, rainy days your no more uncomfortable than you would be in Aerostich gear and you won't look like a grown man playing Neil Armstrong. As for quality of rain protection... three of us rode from Dallas to Daytona a few years ago. I wore Heine Gerike leather with REI raingear. Ron Ayres was wearing a Roadcrafter. I was on a KLR (nofairing) He was on a BMW K1100lt (fairing). We stayed at pretty much 70-80 mph the whole way through some serious downpours. He was soaked to the skin, The bottoms of my leather pants were soaked, from about the knees down, my gloves were soaked and my jacket felt damp but was not wet. When I stopped for the night I dumped a good cup of water out of each boot proving they were indeed waterproof, they filled with water and didn't leak a drop. Jim
> --- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, > > > always felt that > > > the engineering of the Motoport is underrated. > > > > > > Stuart >> > > >Yes Motoport is good gear but Aerostich is the BEST! > > > Being the owner of a First Gear jacket and a Darien, I have to say > that the Aerostich gear is highly overrated. I have nothing against > Aerostich products, I own a lot of stuff that they make. But their > riding gear is just isn't the quality stuff that the high price seems > to indicate. > > Gino > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > >
Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Dan Paulsen

Post by Dan Paulsen » Fri Nov 17, 2000 9:34 pm

I sure do like the RoadCrafter after 3 yrs. It was difficult at the time to justify such an expenditure. No regrets today. With 70K miles on the Concours I believe it has been tested well (less crashing). Only leaked once at the crotch sitting in the rain for 45 min at the customs line coming back from Canada to US, Wa State. So ride don't sit. :+) Getting a KLR made me wonder if I should have gotten a two piece. Last Cycle World Int'l show I got a HJC Cirotech jacket and insulated pants at 1/2 price, I use when riding the KLR. I like them also. Jacket has good protection less plastic cups at impact areas, does use a foam at those places including the back. The pants were optional, next time I would get pants with removable liner/insulation to make them four season pants. SO! The next sickle show is Dec 2 in Seattle. I am hungrily looking fwd to finding some NECESSARY gear there! Dan Paulsen Graham WA

Dan Paulsen

Post by Dan Paulsen » Fri Nov 17, 2000 10:13 pm

Defintely get a two piece for off road ridng.
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Don Detloff" wrote: > I'm starting to put together a wish list of things to get over the > winter and wonder what the advantages/disadvantages are of a Darien > jacket and pants vs. the 2 pc. Roadcrafter. Seems like they would be > similar. Are there any differences that would make one a better choice > over the other? > > Don Detloff > Fair Haven, MI A14

Conall O'Brien

Post by Conall O'Brien » Fri Nov 17, 2000 11:30 pm

>From: "Dan Paulsen" >To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com >Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Darien vs. Roadcrafter NKLR >Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 03:34:32 -0000 > > I sure do like the RoadCrafter after 3 yrs. It was difficult at the >time to justify such an expenditure. No regrets today. With 70K miles >on the Concours I believe it has been tested well (less crashing). >Only leaked once at the crotch sitting in the rain for 45 min at the >customs line coming back from Canada to US, Wa State. So ride don't >sit. :+) > Getting a KLR made me wonder if I should have gotten a two piece. >Last Cycle World Int'l show I got a HJC Cirotech jacket and insulated >pants at 1/2 price, I use when riding the KLR. I like them also. >Jacket has good protection less plastic cups at impact areas, does use >a foam at those places including the back. The pants were optional, >next time I would get pants with removable liner/insulation to make >them four season pants. > SO! The next sickle show is Dec 2 in Seattle. I am hungrily looking >fwd to finding some NECESSARY gear there! > > Dan Paulsen > Graham WA >
Motoport has a booth at the Cycle World Int'l show. I went last weekend in San Mateo CA. You'll be able to see the 2 pc. DIFI Ultra 2 jacket and pants which I also use. No other jacket comes close to the protection of the Ultra 2. Motoport also sells the Canyon jacket but sell out of those very quickly. Bohn is making body armor for 'stitches now, so if you absolutely have to have the Aerostitch you'd need Bohn body armor to match the protectiveness(is that a word?) of the Motoport Ultra 2. Conall _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com