Re: Don Mclean Song/American Pie Off Topic

toborthegreat00150

Re: Don Mclean Song/American Pie Off Topic [4 Attachments]

Post by toborthegreat00150 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi Lenny:   That is a very interesting background of that song. Never knew that and thank you for the information. It always hit a responsive chord in me because when the song came out, It had that line " A Generation Lost In Space" so I used to hear these words with my parent's in our VW super Beetle in the early 1970's . My brother and sister used to ask too if he was talking about "Lost In Space" I know it is weird. This is great info on this song that you gave since it is so popular on youtube. The 70's, the days of great music. I still have that album of Don Mclean, great album.     Victor J   In a message dated 12/30/2015 9:10:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, B9Builders@yahoogroups.com writes:

Hi Victor , ever since the 1950's there was three musicians that died in 1959 in a plane crash on their way to perform the Winter Tour concerts. The song "American Pie" was dedicated to those men. I am specking of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper. Buddy Holly whose songs were "That will be the Day"," Peggy Sue", and Oh Boy among many, many others. Ritchie Valens also a young musician, his songs are "La Bamba"," Oh Donna" and "Come on Let's Go" and others. And Big Bopper was a DJ from Texas, who's hit was" Chantilly Lace". Perhaps you heard of them( I am sure). There were two movies about these guys, "The Buddy Holly Story" also a musical play. and La Bamba, the story about Ritchie. Keep in mind that people l isten to the words of American Pie and but there are specific references to all three. But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
Something touched me deep inside
The day the music died
......Do you believe in rock and roll?
Can music save your mortal soul?........The day the music died.......And the three men I admire most....... Comment: Although many verses are about other things this is what Don Mclean was singing about Buddy, Ritchie and the Big Bopper. their music lives on

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:42 PM, "Tobor001@aol.com [B9Builders]" wrote:

Hey guys:   I wonder what Don Mclean was thinking when he wrote "American Pie"  44 million hits on youtube. Always used to think of this line when this song came out.   Have a blessed Happy New Year!!!!!
  Victor [img]cid:EZjF2sPANOa20nyDW721[/img]

Lenny Hochteil

Post by Lenny Hochteil » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:26 am

Hi Victor, thank you for the compliment, if you like "Rock and roll" you will find that even the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, were influenced by Buddy Holly. Buddy Holly's band ( 1950's) keep in mind was called the Crickets", they named their band ( you guessed it" the" Beatles". Almost all rock and roll bands listened to his sound. Buddy Holly even was the warm up group for Elvis.
On Dec 30, 2015 6:35 PM, "Tobor001@aol.com [B9Builders]" wrote:

Hi Lenny:

That is a very interesting background of that song. Never knew that and
thank you for the information.
It always hit a responsive chord in me because when the song came out, It
had that line " A Generation Lost In Space" so I used to hear
these words with my parent's in our VW super Beetle in the early
1970's . My brother and sister used to ask too if he was talking about
"Lost In Space" I know it is weird. This is great info on this song that you
gave since it is so popular on youtube. The 70's, the days of great music.
I still have that album of Don Mclean, great album.

Victor J

In a message dated 12/30/2015 9:10:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
B9Builders@yahoogroups.com writes:

Hi Victor , ever since the 1950's there was
three musicians that died in 1959 in a plane crash on their way to perform the
Winter Tour concerts. The song "American Pie" was dedicated to those men. I am
specking of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper. Buddy Holly whose
songs were "That will be the Day"," Peggy Sue", and Oh Boy among many, many
others. Ritchie Valens also a young musician, his songs are "La Bamba"," Oh
Donna" and "Come on Let's Go" and others. And Big Bopper was a DJ from Texas,
who's hit was" Chantilly Lace". Perhaps you heard of them( I am sure). There
were two movies about these guys, "The Buddy Holly Story" also a musical play.
and La Bamba, the story about Ritchie. Keep in mind that people l isten to the
words of American Pie and but there are specific references to all three.

But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step
I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
Something touched me deep inside
The day the music died
......Do you believe in rock
and roll?

Can
music
save your mortal soul?........The day the music died.......And
the three men I admire most....... Comment: Although many verses are about
other things this is what Don Mclean was singing about Buddy, Ritchie and the
Big Bopper. their music lives on

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:42 PM,
"Tobor001@aol.com [B9Builders]"
wrote:

Hey guys:

I wonder what Don Mclean was thinking when he wrote "American Pie"
44 million hits on youtube. Always used to think of this line when this song
came out.

Have a blessed Happy New Year!!!!!

Victor
[img]cid:EZjF2sPANOa20nyDW721[/img]

Jeff DeRose

Post by Jeff DeRose » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:19 pm

And a young Waylon Jennings was in Buddy's band. 

Sent from my iPad
On Dec 31, 2015, at 8:23 AM, "Lenny Hochteil lennyhochteil@yahoo.com [B9Builders]" wrote:

Hi Victor, thank you for the compliment, if you like "Rock and roll" you will find that even the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, were influenced by Buddy Holly. Buddy Holly's band ( 1950's) keep in mind was called the Crickets", they named their band ( you guessed it" the" Beatles". Almost all rock and roll bands listened to his sound. Buddy Holly even was the warm up group for Elvis. On Dec 30, 2015 6:35 PM, "Tobor001@aol.com [B9Builders]" wrote:

Hi Lenny:   That is a very interesting background of that song. Never knew that and thank you for the information. It always hit a responsive chord in me because when the song came out, It had that line " A Generation Lost In Space" so I used to hear these words with my parent's in our VW super Beetle in the early 1970's . My brother and sister used to ask too if he was talking about "Lost In Space" I know it is weird. This is great info on this song that you gave since it is so popular on youtube. The 70's, the days of great music. I still have that album of Don Mclean, great album.     Victor J   In a message dated 12/30/2015 9:10:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, B9Builders@yahoogroups.com writes: