Re: Question for anyone using Genssi 150W 12V Power Supply

Bob Darlington

Post by Bob Darlington » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:02 am

Not a chance. Think of it as a wire and nothing more. A very special wire that can spin continuously without breaking.
-Bob
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Daniel danielscottangel@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Hi BobSo I was using the slip ring not only to change direction for my waist rotation but had used it to channel power to my torso and head components. It I changed waist rotation wouldn't that also change current flow to those components ?
Daniel
Sent from my iPhone
On Nov 30, 2015, at 6:00 PM, Bob Darlington rdarlington@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

This doesn't make sense to me. The slip ring doesn't know what direction it's moving, nor does it have any way to produce electricity. It might as well be a magic cable that lets you twist it round and round. Can you explain in more detail?
I've used slip rings a lot in the past, including for passing dual gigabit ethernet connections up to a rotating antenna/transmitter assembly for ground to air communications. This included data, plus power for the Motorola radios, plus power to the gimbals which also had their own slip rings. They simply act as a multi-conductor cable.
-Bob
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Daniel Angel danielscottangel@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

I think I've discovered why I was getting a reversal of voltage in my slip ring. These rings are primarily used to provide continuous current in one direction (like for a wind tubine). Because I was using this for waist rotation (changing direction back and forth) the voltage reversed when the rotating loop detected a change in direction of the magnetic field lines. The voltage alternated simply because the orientation of the fixed field reversed relative to the rotating coil when I stopped and reversed waist rotation. My mistake was using slip ring connections for all my power (light boards, receiver, etc). Its fine for waist rotation but I need to channel separate and unchanging connections for those other systems.
Lesson learned :-P D. Scott
On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Bob Ross robertr609@yahoo.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Daniel,
I agree with Bob D - sounds like you're shorting the power supply.
Make sure both sides of the slip ring are connected as you intended; i.e., you haven't crisscrossed two wires.
If above OK, disconnect both sides of the slip ring and verify with an ohm meter that none of the wires/rings are shorted together internal to the slip ring.
Bob Ross
To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2015 6:59 PM
Subject: Re: [B9Builders] Question for anyone using Genssi 150W 12V Power Supply

The odd thing is the power block works fine with the second slip ring connection. I suppose my connection clip could be faulty. I'll switch it out and test it again.
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 23, 2015, at 3:55 PM, Bob Darlington rdarlington@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Are you sure you're not shorting your supply?
It's common to have guard rings in there to somewhat isolate electrical noise from the other connections. These would all be grounded/common.
-Bob
On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 4:49 PM, Daniel Angel danielscottangel@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:
I've installed a slip ring into my bottom CSS plate. My problem is
when I connect a specific power distribution block to one particular
slip ring connection my Genssi power supply begins to reset (clicks
and the led indicator blinks). If I connect that block to a different
slip ring connection there is no reset. Power flow is fine.

I'm thinking that first slip ring connection is faulty somewhere in the ring.

Anyone else using the Genssi have a similar reset experience?

Thanks,

Daniel

--
Conquering the world one robot at a time....

--

tom_wiz_1999

Post by tom_wiz_1999 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:41 am

There are TWO different types of slip rings, a solid slip ring, and a SPLIT slip ring. The Solid one, is what you want. It maintains the connection for the full 360. A SPLIT slip ring has an air gap in the ring, think motor armature. It will revere polarity thru its rotation of 360. Usually split at the 180 mark. So its probably not an issue of reverse rotation so much as it would have probably reversed during a normal rotation past 180 degrees..  Post your model of the slip ring you used...

Sorry it took so long for me to get into this thread. Had to dig up my account info....

TomW

Bob Darlington

Post by Bob Darlington » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:08 am

Split slip rings are used inside of DC motors. I'd be very surprised if they make such a thing for general use, but who knows?
-Bob
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:41 AM, twisnionski@sbcglobal.net [B9Builders] wrote:

There are TWO different types of slip rings, a solid slip ring, and a SPLIT slip ring. The Solid one, is what you want. It maintains the connection for the full 360. A SPLIT slip ring has an air gap in the ring, think motor armature. It will revere polarity thru its rotation of 360. Usually split at the 180 mark. So its probably not an issue of reverse rotation so much as it would have probably reversed during a normal rotation past 180 degrees.. Post your model of the slip ring you used...

Sorry it took so long for me to get into this thread. Had to dig up my account info....

TomW

Daniel Angel

Post by Daniel Angel » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:33 am

Attachments :
  1. [url=file:///D:\B9YAHOO\attachments\\SlipRing.pdf]SlipRing.pdf[/url]
Here is the information on what I purchased (attached). I can't tell which version it is - solid or split. It's one another builder has used.
Daniel
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 7:41 AM, twisnionski@sbcglobal.net [B9Builders] wrote:

There are TWO different types of slip rings, a solid slip ring, and a SPLIT slip ring. The Solid one, is what you want. It maintains the connection for the full 360. A SPLIT slip ring has an air gap in the ring, think motor armature. It will revere polarity thru its rotation of 360. Usually split at the 180 mark. So its probably not an issue of reverse rotation so much as it would have probably reversed during a normal rotation past 180 degrees.. Post your model of the slip ring you used...

TomW

--

Bob Darlington

Re: Question for anyone using Genssi 150W 12V Power Supply [1 Attach

Post by Bob Darlington » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:53 am

That's a regular slip ring made for continuous rotation of conductors. Nothing should be flipping conductors or polarity. In wiring it up, just pretend it's not there at all and instead you're just running through a piece of blue (or red or whatever other color) wire. Blue in, blue out. Red in, red out. Etc.
-Bob
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Daniel Angel danielscottangel@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:
[Attachment(s) from Daniel Angel included below]
Here is the information on what I purchased (attached). I can't tell which version it is - solid or split. It's one another builder has used.
Daniel

TomW

--

Daniel Angel

Post by Daniel Angel » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:50 pm

That's what I did. I separated the wires into groups of two and used one as negative and one as positive for various components. I'm thinking when I used my EZ to reverse the direction of the torso, that in-turn, reversed or somehow created a problem for all connections as the slip ring went in the other direction.
Daniel
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Bob Darlington rdarlington@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

That's a regular slip ring made for continuous rotation of conductors. Nothing should be flipping conductors or polarity. In wiring it up, just pretend it's not there at all and instead you're just running through a piece of blue (or red or whatever other color) wire. Blue in, blue out. Red in, red out. Etc.
-Bob
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Daniel Angel danielscottangel@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:
Daniel

TomW

--

--

Jim Easley

Post by Jim Easley » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Daniel, Just as a guess, if you are reversing the torso motor prior to the slip ring assembly make sure the leads into the motor are not connected to anything else including any ground connections. Check that the motor leads are not connected to the casing with an ohm meter. Basically you want the motor and leads separate (floating) from all other connections.   Jim E   From: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 10:50 AM To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [B9Builders] Question for anyone using Genssi 150W 12V Power Supply    
That's what I did. I separated the wires into groups of two and used one as negative and one as positive for various components. I'm thinking when I used my EZ to reverse the direction of the torso, that in-turn, reversed or somehow created a problem for all connections as the slip ring went in the other direction.   Daniel   On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Bob Darlington rdarlington@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:
  That's a regular slip ring made for continuous rotation of conductors.  Nothing should be flipping conductors or polarity.  In wiring it up, just pretend it's not there at all and instead you're just running through a piece of blue (or red or whatever other color) wire.  Blue in, blue out.  Red in, red out.  Etc.   -Bob   On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Daniel Angel danielscottangel@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:
  [Attachment(s) from Daniel Angel included below] Here is the information on what I purchased (attached). I can't tell which version it is - solid or split. It's one another builder has used.   Daniel
  There are TWO different types of slip rings, a solid slip ring, and a SPLIT slip ring. The Solid one, is what you want. It maintains the connection for the full 360. A SPLIT slip ring has an air gap in the ring, think motor armature. It will revere polarity thru its rotation of 360. Usually split at the 180 mark. So its probably not an issue of reverse rotation so much as it would have probably reversed during a normal rotation past 180 degrees..  Post your model of the slip ring you used...

TomW

--

--

Bob Darlington

Post by Bob Darlington » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:51 pm

Oh, it sounds like your "ground" is really the - side of the motor connection from your motor controller. Don't use that. It's probably not really ground. That could definitely cause havoc if you tie to ground and use it as a ground for other voltages.
One more reason to keep 48 volt stuff and everything else completely separate.
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Daniel Angel danielscottangel@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

That's what I did. I separated the wires into groups of two and used one as negative and one as positive for various components. I'm thinking when I used my EZ to reverse the direction of the torso, that in-turn, reversed or somehow created a problem for all connections as the slip ring went in the other direction.
Daniel
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Bob Darlington rdarlington@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

-Bob
Daniel

TomW

--

--

Daniel Angel

Post by Daniel Angel » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:16 pm

Jim I'll check and see but I think my ground to the motor is separate. I installed that first and I do have multiple terminals on the power supply.
Daniel
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 11:14 AM, 'Jim Easley' jimeasley.tech@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Daniel, Just as a guess, if you are reversing the torso motor prior to the slip ring assembly make sure the leads into the motor are not connected to anything else including any ground connections. Check that the motor leads are not connected to the casing with an ohm meter. Basically you want the motor and leads separate (floating) from all other connections. Jim E From: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 10:50 AM To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [B9Builders] Question for anyone using Genssi 150W 12V Power Supply
That's what I did. I separated the wires into groups of two and used one as negative and one as positive for various components. I'm thinking when I used my EZ to reverse the direction of the torso, that in-turn, reversed or somehow created a problem for all connections as the slip ring went in the other direction. Daniel On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Bob Darlington rdarlington@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:
That's a regular slip ring made for continuous rotation of conductors. Nothing should be flipping conductors or polarity. In wiring it up, just pretend it's not there at all and instead you're just running through a piece of blue (or red or whatever other color) wire. Blue in, blue out. Red in, red out. Etc. -Bob On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Daniel Angel danielscottangel@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:
[Attachment(s) from Daniel Angel included below] Here is the information on what I purchased (attached). I can't tell which version it is - solid or split. It's one another builder has used. Daniel

TomW
--

--

--