Re: New file uploaded to Safarifriends

Yahoo Groups Legacy Content
robertfury@gmail.com

Post by robertfury@gmail.com » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:51 am

'Well I’m crossing my fingers for this time in December. But my son graduates from marine boot camp in a couple days which I’m flying out to. Also a trip to Reno in a couple weeks too. It’s been a huge project. I could never imagine a “house” this small would be so much work. But I’ve had to learn so much, which is good because hopefully I can figure out the problems before I get on the road. I’ve done it all though, soup to nuts. Roof, flooring, tile work, countertops, trim, brakes, wallpaper (yes wallpaper, ughhhh) ceiling, mold remediation, plumbing, painting, lighting. But I bought it for 22k, with 35k miles. Will have 50k into it by the time I’m done. I plan on living full time in her for at least the next five years. So all in all cheap housing. I’ve gone from a nearly 3000 square foot house, huge shop packed with business tools, to an RV and pulling a truck. But I’m ready for less stuff to maintain. Where is the solar guy located? I just need a simple system but would love to pay someone to do it right or at least pay someone to tell me how to do it right. Thank you.'

TD

Post by TD » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:27 am

'Robert,

Wow! Sounds like you took on quite a project.
Be sure to carry spare fuel filters when you hit the road, you never know when you might get a bad batch of fuel that has algae in it that will clog your fuel filters.

Which solar guy?
Handy Bob is located in MT, but does not do installs anymore. He will help design a system if needed, but you have better read his blog before calling him.
Bill Edwards is located in CO, in the Denver region, he heads to AZ in January for a few months, so maybe you can arrange something while you both are down there. With a small system, it won't be that hard to do. My suggestion is start out small, but design/build your system with room for expansion (mainly large wires and larger capacity charge controller), this way if you need to expand in the future you won't be buying and doing things twice. If you have room to expand, you would just be adding more panels as needed. If you will be living full time for at least five years, it is very likely that you will need to or want to expand in the future. It is better to pay a little extra now, then paying a lot later, having to do the whole system all over again.

Oh, I think I forgot to give you the link to Handy Bob's blog. www.handybobsolar.com

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, 300 Cummins 8.3CTA, Allison
6spd.
On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 3:51 AM, robertfury@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
Well I’m crossing my fingers for this time in December.  But my son graduates from marine boot camp in a couple days which I’m flying out to.  Also a trip to Reno in a couple weeks too.  It’s been a huge project.  I could never imagine a “house” this small would be so much work.  But I’ve had to learn so much, which is good because hopefully I can figure out the problems before I get on the road.  I’ve done it all though, soup to nuts.  Roof, flooring, tile work, countertops, trim, brakes, wallpaper (yes wallpaper, ughhhh) ceiling, mold remediation, plumbing, painting, lighting.  But I bought it for 22k, with 35k miles.  Will have 50k into it by the time I’m done.  I plan on living full time in her for at least the next five years.  So all in all cheap housing.  I’ve gone from a nearly 3000 square foot house, huge shop packed with business tools, to an RV and pulling a truck.  But I’m ready for less stuff to maintain.  Where is the solar guy located?  I just need a simple system but would love to pay someone to do it right or at least pay someone to tell me how to do it right.  Thank you.

------------------------------ ------
Posted by: robertfury@...

Community email addresses:
  Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com
  Subscribe:    Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com
  Unsubscribe:  Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com
  List owner:   Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com

Shortcut URL to this page:
  http://www.onelist.com/ community/Safarifriends

Yahoo Groups Links