Fw: Beaver service in Tampa

Yahoo Groups Legacy Content
RG

Fw: Beaver service in Tampa

Post by RG » Tue Aug 22, 2000 3:13 pm

----- Original Message ----- From: "GS" Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel Sent: Monday, August 21, 2000 5:30 PM Subject: Re: Beaver service in Tampa > AI Nut wrote: > > > > Since I am in north Alabama and Oregon is a bit far to drive even for > > major service, the Beaver factory says they have a facility in Tampa, > > Florida. Has anyone used them and what is your experience, please? I > > would like to know before I drive the 600 miles (one way) to get my rig > > repaired. I am really fussy when it comes to my rig. > > > > Thanks, > > AI Nut > > I've had my old rig ('95 Safari Sahara) in twice for service at the SMC > facility. Mixed results. > > The first time, I had 'fuel contamination'. Even though the rig was > well out of warranty, they replaced the fuel tank at no charge for labor > or parts. (Of course, it didn't fix the problem - the REAL problem of > 'fuel contamination' was a defective air solenoid on the PAC Brake, > causing it to stick intermittently in the 'activated' position, resulting > in almost total loss of power. I had to diagnose and repair it myself.) > > The second time, I had a total brake failure after the rig sat idling > for several minutes after a freeway drive. SMC in Oregon diagnosed it > via phone as 'heat soak' of the brake cylinders and lines (probably > due to a dragging caliper), causing the (possibly moisture contaminated) > brake fluid to boil out of the cylinders, and recommended replacement of > the brake fluid, along with teardown of the calipers, cleaning and > rebuilding. They said SMC Florida could do it. > > I took it in, and told the service writer what SMC Oregon recommended. > When we picked up the rig (just before a vacation trip) they had only > replaced the brake fluid, without servicing the calipers. When I > reminded them that I had requested caliper service, they said they > didn't do it because they didn't have the time, and wouldn't be > able to reschedule it for at least 8 weeks! Needless to say, that > vacation trip was a VERY nervous ride for the first day or two. > > After that we dumped the Safari. > > Good luck..... > -- > > Gary Sanders > > Bait for spammers: > root@localhost > postmaster@localhost > admin@localhost > abuse@localhost > postmaster@127.0.0.1