Re: [Safarifriends] Newbie Questions:

Yahoo Groups Legacy Content
RG

Post by RG » Thu Aug 03, 2000 8:59 pm

I can only answer a few of your questions...... The magic bed, like anything else, needs to be maintained. Check the bolts, gears, track, etc, for signs of a problem before allowing it to occur. Diesels will maintain their rated horsepower at altitude where a gas engine will lose about 10 hp for every 1000 feet in elevation you climb. A diesel driven moderately should yield you much better gas mileage than a gas engine. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Cliff Stripling" To: Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 12:06 PM Subject: [Safarifriends] Newbie Questions: > All, > > Questions: Please, you old hands, give a wannabee a break and tell > me > the straight scoop. Jump in on any or all... maybe some of my > questions are stupid, but I will ask them anyway. > > The Electro Majic Bed > > Is the mechanical action of the bed trouble free > for the most part? I just read a post that mentioned a problem with > the mechanism and have heard about others that have had a problem. > > Chassis > > Seems like the newest is the P-32. Then I noticed that in '96 it was > the P-30. Even earlier it was Izusu. Would anyone know the history > of the chassis, the differences between them and how each rates as > far > as ride and stability are concerned? > > Stabilizer bars and shocks > > A lot is written about Treks (and many other) needing Bilstein shocks > and/or several brands of front and rear stabilizer bars. Does the > Trek need stabilizer bars? Any testimonials on brands? Do Treks > wander or sway with passing trucks? Which chassis does and does not? > Is there any difference in the way the 24' and 28' Treks handle on > the > road. Does one or the other have more of a tendency to sway or hop > on > older concrete highways? (pull trailers & 5th wheels really can jerk > on some roads). Any problems with Toads causing adverse road > handling > (or jerking)? > > Power of gas vs. diesel > > I have heard that the diesel does not have enough power for the Trek. > I don't know if the diesel mentioned was the early Izusu 4-cyl or the > newer GM. I would think that a gas 290 hp (torque 410) would produce > more power than the diesel 190 hp (torque 385). Obviously, the > diesel > should get better fuel economy. What MPG are you getting - gas and > diesel? > > Braking > > Does the diesel come with an exhaust brake? Does it need one? > > Any design faults and Misc > > Any leaky roofs or other fairly common problems? Is roof caulking > required often? With a hard roof, I would think so. I understand > the > framing is metal... is there any wood in the framing? Any problems > with servicing engines or systems? Any favorite modifications or add > ons? > > We are going to get a look at a 2430 this weekend so maybe some of > the > above questions will be answered then. > > Hoping to be more than a Wannabee soon! Thanks for any comment. > > Cliff > > > > > Community email addresses: > Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com > Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com > Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com > List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com > > Shortcut URL to this page: > http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends >

Bill Montgomery

Post by Bill Montgomery » Fri Aug 04, 2000 7:58 am

I can comment on the Isuzu version of the Trek. We owned a 91, without a Magic bed before trading up to a larger Safari. The Isuzu had adequate power assuming towing a car is not a priority. (I talked to the owner of a relatively new 28 footer recently and he claims good success towing.) Like most motor homes you do hope for a passing lane on the long, steep hills. On the narrower, winding roads you can seldom go faster than the engine will allow anyway. The economy was a welcome advantage. We averaged about 12.5 miles per gallon and occasionally got over 13.5. The Isuzu came with exhaust brakes, I don't think the GM diesels do, our Kalahari doesn't have one, but the big disk brakes stop it just fine and you do get some enging compression braking, though not as much as on a gas engine. The overall quality of the Trek, IMHO, was very good. We had no wandering problems, but notable, our Kalahari, which we bought used, has add on stabilizers and air suspension, so??? We had over 70k, everything worked but the backup camera and the whole rig was amazingly free of leaks, squeeks and rattles considering it's a big box flexing down the road. All things being equal, I would look for a diesel. Also, I wouldn't choose a magic bed rig if your partner's slleping habits aren't the same as yours. I arise very early. My wife doesn't and a magic bed would be a serious problem. -----Original Message----- From: RG [mailto:prieye@...] Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 9:00 PM To: Safarifriends@egroups.com Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Newbie Questions: I can only answer a few of your questions...... The magic bed, like anything else, needs to be maintained. Check the bolts, gears, track, etc, for signs of a problem before allowing it to occur. Diesels will maintain their rated horsepower at altitude where a gas engine will lose about 10 hp for every 1000 feet in elevation you climb. A diesel driven moderately should yield you much better gas mileage than a gas engine. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Cliff Stripling" To: Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 12:06 PM Subject: [Safarifriends] Newbie Questions: > All, > > Questions: Please, you old hands, give a wannabee a break and tell > me > the straight scoop. Jump in on any or all... maybe some of my > questions are stupid, but I will ask them anyway. > > The Electro Majic Bed > > Is the mechanical action of the bed trouble free > for the most part? I just read a post that mentioned a problem with > the mechanism and have heard about others that have had a problem. > > Chassis > > Seems like the newest is the P-32. Then I noticed that in '96 it was > the P-30. Even earlier it was Izusu. Would anyone know the history > of the chassis, the differences between them and how each rates as > far > as ride and stability are concerned? > > Stabilizer bars and shocks > > A lot is written about Treks (and many other) needing Bilstein shocks > and/or several brands of front and rear stabilizer bars. Does the > Trek need stabilizer bars? Any testimonials on brands? Do Treks > wander or sway with passing trucks? Which chassis does and does not? > Is there any difference in the way the 24' and 28' Treks handle on > the > road. Does one or the other have more of a tendency to sway or hop > on > older concrete highways? (pull trailers & 5th wheels really can jerk > on some roads). Any problems with Toads causing adverse road > handling > (or jerking)? > > Power of gas vs. diesel > > I have heard that the diesel does not have enough power for the Trek. > I don't know if the diesel mentioned was the early Izusu 4-cyl or the > newer GM. I would think that a gas 290 hp (torque 410) would produce > more power than the diesel 190 hp (torque 385). Obviously, the > diesel > should get better fuel economy. What MPG are you getting - gas and > diesel? > > Braking > > Does the diesel come with an exhaust brake? Does it need one? > > Any design faults and Misc > > Any leaky roofs or other fairly common problems? Is roof caulking > required often? With a hard roof, I would think so. I understand > the > framing is metal... is there any wood in the framing? Any problems > with servicing engines or systems? Any favorite modifications or add > ons? > > We are going to get a look at a 2430 this weekend so maybe some of > the > above questions will be answered then. > > Hoping to be more than a Wannabee soon! Thanks for any comment. > > Cliff > > > > > Community email addresses: > Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com > Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com > Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com > List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com > > Shortcut URL to this page: > http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends > Community email addresses: Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com Shortcut URL to this page: http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends