Re: [Safarifriends] Re: Storage

Yahoo Groups Legacy Content
RG

Post by RG » Thu Jul 27, 2000 6:42 pm

I've been feeding my Sahara 110V and running my refrigerator for 80% of it's so far three year life without any problems. I just find it an inconveinence to clean out the 'frige. So far so good with both the coach and chassis batteries. If I were to loose the batteries soon I'd just assume I got my moneys worth from them as lot's of folks give coach batteries a three year life. There is little doubt that disconnecting the 'frige when possible will extend it's life as long as it gets used a few months out of the year. RG ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Smith" To: Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 9:10 PM Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Storage > Thanks, Richard. I guess my primary concern was with keeping the > house batteries charged, and the convenience of being able to leave > some food items in the refrigerator. Will continuous power to the > inverter damage the batteries? Shorten their life? How about the > chassis batteries? Right now I have the coach disconnected from > power, the refrigerator off, and the doors to the frig open. > Gary > --- In Safarifriends@egroups.com, Dick Berg wrote: > > Gary, I have a 1999 Trek 2830 and when not using it, just turn off > the refrig. > > and everything else. We do leave the refrig and freezer doors open > a few days > > so mildew does not form. I see no reason for you to keep it on for > 3 wks at at > > time when not using it. > > Richarad Lechtenberg, F262706 > > > > At 10:33 PM 07/27/2000 +0000, you wrote: > > >I have a 2000 Trek 2830, and am able to store it at home when not > > >actually using it. Should I keep it pluged into 110 v power for > > >weeks at a time and keep the refrigerator cold, or store it > > >unconnected? Any major concerns to either option? It normally > would > > >sit unused for 3 weeks at a time. > > > > > >Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. > > > > > >Gary Smith, F256841 > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >Community email addresses: > > > Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com > > > Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com > > > Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com > > > List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com > > > > > >Shortcut URL to this page: > > > http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends > > > > Dick Berg & Associates & The Biomedical Register > > Phone 858-452-2745 Fax 858-546-8680 > > PO Box 927171 San Diego CA 92192 > > > > http://www.dickberg.com > > > > > Community email addresses: > Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com > Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com > Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com > List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com > > Shortcut URL to this page: > http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends >

RG

Post by RG » Thu Jul 27, 2000 8:09 pm

Now you have me worried when you say you were / are running an extension cord from the garage to the coach. I'm not an electrical engineer or anything similar but If you are only running a 25' cord that is 12 guage or thicker no problem. If you have a 100' , 16 guage cord you are not getting anywhere near the needed "safe" amperage you'd assume you were getting. Since the average modern wall plug is 15amps, you may loose almost half of that with a cheap, long extension cord. If this were the case you would likely suffer early deaths in all your electric drawing appliances such as the inverter, the brain box of the refrigerator, air conditioner, and TV if it were on. The best bet is try to get yourself a short run, preferably with only your coach supplied power line, and a 30 amp circuit terminated in a matching female plug like you'd find at the camp ground. Home depot does have these terminals. RG ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Smith" To: Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 10:37 PM Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Storage > My thanks to both RG and Richard for their input. I have beem > parking on my driveway, and running an extension cord from the garage > to keep power available, but just completed pouring a slab and > putting a carport up in my back 40 to store the Trek on. Guess I > don't have to be in any great hurry to run power out to it, but that > will eventually happen, as I intend to use the extra space as a > workshop as well, especially once I can get it fully enclosed. > > Gary > > > > > Community email addresses: > Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com > Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com > Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com > List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com > > Shortcut URL to this page: > http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends >

Gary L. Smith

Post by Gary L. Smith » Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:55 am

Not to worry (I think).  Was using a 20 amp circuit (on GFCI), and a 12 gauge, 50 ft. contractor's cord.  For my permanent storage location, I will run a dedicated 50 amp circuit, with a 30 amp RV outlet for the RV.  Gary ----- Original Message ----- From: RG To: Safarifriends@egroups.com Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 11:09 PM Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Re: Storage Now you have me worried when you say you were / are running an extensioncord from the garage to the coach. I'm not an electrical engineer oranything similar but If you are only running a 25' cord that is 12 guage orthicker no problem. If you have a 100' , 16 guage cord you are not gettinganywhere near the needed "safe" amperage you'd assume you were getting.Since the average modern wall plug is 15amps, you may loose almost half ofthat with a cheap, long extension cord. If this were the case you wouldlikely suffer early deaths in all your electric drawing appliances such asthe inverter, the brain box of the refrigerator, air conditioner, and TV ifit were on.The best bet is try to get yourself a short run, preferably with only yourcoach supplied power line, and a 30 amp circuit terminated in a matchingfemale plug like you'd find at the camp ground. Home depot does have theseterminals.   RG----- Original Message -----From: "Gary Smith" To: Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 10:37 PMSubject: [Safarifriends] Re: Storage> My thanks to both RG and Richard for their input.  I have beem> parking on my driveway, and running an extension cord from the garage> to keep power available, but just completed pouring a slab and> putting a carport up in my back 40 to store the Trek on.  Guess I> don't have to be in any great hurry to run power out to it, but that> will eventually happen, as I intend to use the extra space as a> workshop as well, especially once I can get it fully enclosed.>> Gary>>> >> Community email addresses:>   Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com>   Subscribe:    Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com>   Unsubscribe:  Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com>   List owner:   Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com>> Shortcut URL to this page:>   http://www.onelist.com/community/Safari ... >Community email addresses:  Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com  Subscribe:    Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com  Unsubscribe:  Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com  List owner:   Safarifriends-owner@onelist.comShortcut URL to this page:  http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends

Jim Kelley

Post by Jim Kelley » Sat Aug 05, 2000 12:38 pm

Let me suggest a couple of clarifications....   110V current is supplied by the shore plug or the genset. This current is sent to the main circuit breaker box, where it is sent TO the inverter. Everybody calls it an inverter, but it's actually the Heart unit, which has two primary functions: battery charging and inverting.   A. When 110V power being received by the Heart: 1. the battery charger is ALWAYS on , and charges only the HOUSE batteries at up to 50 Ah (12V). (That is 25% of the capacity of the house bank.) This unit has a "smart" regulator and will pump high amps to the batteries until they are almost full, and ultimately will supply only a maintenance amperage. 2. the inverter  turns the inverter light on, but doesn't really invert. It powers the inverter output receptacle by passing the 110V input power directly to the receptacle   B. When there is no 110V power at the Heart: 1. the battery charger is inoperable 2. the inverter is controlled by the galley switch or the back-up camera switch.   a. when the switch is off, the inverter is inoperable and no battery power is consumed.   b. when the switch is on, the inverter is consuming battery power and is ready to supply up to 1,000 amps of 110V current on demand. Even in idle mode (when no 110V demand is present), the inverter uses a small amount of battery power   Neither the genset or shore power will charge the chassis battery bank; only the engine alternator will do that. The alternator ALSO charges the house batteries at the same time. This is a big unit - 126Ah for Vortec gas models. The problem with alternator charging is that the voltage regulator is designed for chassis batteries and reduces amperage well before deep cycle house batteries are fully charged. (The house bank will eventually fully charge, but it will require more engine hours to do so.)   Finally, the solar panel provides a maintenance charge to BOTH banks. This unit has no regulator, but the output is so low - 20 watts, possibly 4-5 Ah in a 24 hour day - that it will not overcharge the batteries. If you store your coach in a lighted place, the solar panel should keep both battery banks charged "forever"   There are solutions to the problems identified above...   To charge the chassis batteries, Heart makes an "Echo Charge" which attaches to the Heart interface, provides 15Ah power, and uses the "smart" regulator. Price $100 (all prices - West Marine) You could also wire in any 12V battery charger to a non-inverter circuit and wire it to the chassis battery If you are replacing your Heart, consider a marine model which includes the echo charge function. Price for 1000 watt unit $700   To solve the alternator regulator problem, a number of mfgrs make "smart" regulators, which will properly charge deep cycle batteries Heart makes one called an "in-charge alternator regulator" that replaces the stock regulator. Price $190   hope this helps   jim kelley   jkelley@...   From: Dick Berg To: Safarifriends@egroups.com Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 10:21 PM Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Re: Storage Gary, there is continuous power to the inverter from the house batteries.  When connected to shore power of 110volt, only about 1-2 amps charging power is sent to the house batteries.  House batteries will keep their charge easily for 3 weeks and are rapidly recharged when running the Trek engine.  Doubt if battery life willl be shortened if you elect to keep plugged into the 100 volt power from your house.  So really whatever you choose, it is not big deal, in my humble opinion.   Richard