Re: caulk

Yahoo Groups Legacy Content
John/Joann Figueras

Re: caulk

Post by John/Joann Figueras » Mon Jul 24, 2000 7:29 am

A few years ago I discovered that our '94 Trek had MUCH deteriorated/loosened caulk--on the roof by the seam-covers front and back and also on the sides of the rig, again on the seam-covers. In fact, on the side by the refrigerator vent we got water under the skin which corroded through to the outside. I found that the silicone caulk on the TOP edge of the seam-cover had loosened, but that the caulk on the BOTTOM had held, allowing water to fill the space and then seep down behind the lower skin. When I pulled caulk from the lower edge of the seam-cover, water ran down the side of the rig. I recaulked all the seams, and we had the holes under the refrigerator vent filled and the area repainted in Mexico. Safari said the damage was our fault, and refused to help; they said we should have the whole panel replaced at our expense. Recently, I noticed gaps in the the caulk around the door, but I haven't fixed it yet. NOTE: After all the horizontal seam-covers were recaulked, we stopped getting water in the basement cabinets. I had been fighting that battle for years! Keep on Caulkin, Joann Figueras