Re: TREK suspension system

Yahoo Groups Legacy Content
dickberg@xxxxxxxx.xxx

TREK suspension system

Post by dickberg@xxxxxxxx.xxx » Mon Jan 10, 2000 2:46 pm

I have a 99 TREK 28" RV and note that a lot of owners put on Bilstein shocks front and back. Also I have heard a lot of complaints about the air bags in the front, losing air quickly, difficult to get to check/fill point etc. Please educate me about the suspension sys. problems and recommended ways to fix them. Do the Bilstein shocks replace the air bags in the front? Any and all info much appreciated. Richard Lechtenberg San Diego CA 800-768-8920

Carolyn G McHale

Post by Carolyn G McHale » Mon Jan 10, 2000 3:34 pm

I have a 98 28 foot Trek with the Vortec engine and have 25,500 miles on it with NO suspension problems so far. I think some of the suspension talk is like Y2K---HYPE John McHale mchale@... 301-588-1916

wjmehard@pocketmail.com

Post by wjmehard@pocketmail.com » Sun Mar 12, 2000 2:31 pm

--- In Safarifriends@onelist.com, dickberg@x... wrote: > I have a 99 TREK 28" RV and note that a lot of owners put on Bilstein shocks > front and back. Also I have heard a lot of complaints about the air bags in the > front, losing air quickly, difficult to get to check/fill point etc. Please > educate me about the suspension sys. problems and recommended ways to fix them. > Do the Bilstein shocks replace the air bags in the front? Any and all info much > appreciated. Richard Lechtenberg San Diego CA 800-768-8920 Being new to this group is one thing but being on my second Trek makes me an "expert". Read the owners manual and then have your rig weighted as per the numerous articles on the subject. I had an Izusu before the Chevy chassis I now own. The 93 trek was like driving a truck. I installed steering devices, i.e. Steer Safe, and Bilstien shocks. neither helped very much. The newer Trek, a 97 2830 model drives like a Caddy and is actually fun to drive. I carry about 90 psi in the airbags and will probably install Bilstiens at some later date although I don't think them necessary at this time. I highly recommend joining Norman"s Trek Talk newsletter for the scoup on Treks. As regards steering..... check your bell crank mounting bolts or have a mechanic check both bell cranks for proper tightness. I found my bolts not quite tight on the last inspection of the chassis. I hope this adds to the discussion and will look forward to more info. I may also be reached by email at: wjmehard@... Bill Mehard F180579